Blue Planet SDN Platform Overview
The Transformation of Your Network Starts with Software
The communications industry has entered an exciting new era with the emergence of SDN and NFV. These technologies allow network operators to break free from expensive, vertically integrated legacy network architectures and deliver the multi-vendor software control, service automation and orchestration that operators have been demanding for years.
Cyan's Blue Planet is the first carrier-grade SDN platform built specifically for network operators and the WAN, integrating the capabilities of a multi-domain service orchestrator, a multi-layer SDN controller, a multi-vendor management system, and more. Blue Planet has been implemented in 120 production networks worldwide since its introduction in November 2012, which includes deployments with top-tier global carriers, regional service providers, data center operators, content providers, cable operators, and more.Cyan's focus on building a best-in-class SDN platform for network operators has resulted in recognition across the industry. Blue Planet received multiple award wins in 2014. Most recently, Blue Planet was recognized with an MEF 2014 Ethernet Excellence Award for Best Service Management/Orchestration Network Technology, and was also the winner of this year’s Intel Network Builders Award in the SDN/NFV category.
- Carrier-grade, multi-vendor SDN platform built specifically for network operators
- Centralizes control and management of physical network elements and virtual SDN/NFV resources to simplify service orchestration across carrier data centers and the WAN
- A family of applications for integrating multi-domain service orchestration, multi-layer SDN controller, multi-vendor management, performance assurance, inventory reporting, and network planning
- Improves service flexibility and service velocity while reducing network complexity
- Proven solution deployed with network operators worldwide
- Lower OpEx and CapEx - use existing network assets more efficiently and reduce dependency on proprietary hardware
- Programmable architecture supports open northbound and southbound APIs to enable integration with existing systems, and accelerate service and application development
A Family of Applications
Blue Planet includes a family of applications designed to simplify the service life-cycle in multi-domain and multi-vendor network environments:
- Planet Orchestrate- A multi-domain service orchestration application for allocating and automating virtual and physical service resources across the carrier cloud and the software-defined WAN
- Planet Operate- A multi-vendor, multi-layer SDN controller and management application for wide area networks
- Planet View- A multi-vendor performance monitoring and SLA assurance application
- Planet Inventory- An inventory reporting application for multi-layer, packet-optical networks
- Planet Design- A multi-layer network planning application
Orchestration and Visualization
By centralizing control and management of traditional network elements and virtualized SDN/NFV-based components , Blue Planet lowers costs and simplifies network operations. This approach allows network operators to develop and orchestrate new services more efficiently across telco data centers and the multi-vendor WAN. Blue Planet’s intuitive visualization of network layers, connections and network elements provides unprecedented insight into the relationships between different service resources. This reduces service configuration times, and increases provisioning accuracy for operators while enabling faster root-cause analysis and fault correlation in the event of an unexpected service interruption.
The Blue Planet architecture incorporates flexible open northbound application programming interfaces (APIs) as well as open southbound interfaces to enable interaction and integration with 3rd party software systems and network elements. Blue Planet abstracts the network, hiding the complexity of different technology domains, technology layers, and multi-vendors’ equipment to transform the network into a programmable, easy-to-use resource.
Northbound APIs allow customers and partners to develop their own applications, and integrate them with existing OSSs and other critical software systems. Blue Planet supports a suite of SDN-enabling, northbound APIs for service management and orchestration. This includes the Carrier Ethernet Services 2.0 API to automate provisioning and activation of Ethernet services across multi-vendor networks, thus reducing service turn-up times from weeks, or even months, to minutes.
Southbound Interfaces and “Element Adapters” enable Blue Planet to communicate with a wide array of multi-vendor network elements. This innovative approach enables Blue Planet to interact with newer SDN-enabled equipment and legacy network elements using a variety of protocols and interfaces including CLI, TL1, NETCONF/YANG, and others. Today, Blue Planet supports nearly fifty 3rd party devices from 15 different vendors.
Software Makes the Difference
The combination of Blue Planet and the Cyan Z-Series P-OTPs enables a fully software-defined, open, and virtualized network that gives network operators the flexibility to select best-in-class, multi-vendor solutions across a wide range of applications.